Thursday, September 11, 2008

new lease on things

Okay, so I had an epiphany. I've been in a funk the past few days. This trip started out strong, with daily walks, working out, enjoying the neighborhood. Then it rained for a couple of days and I found myself sitting in my apartment in my pajamas not really doing anything. I was having trouble with my writing, and all the alone time was making me think too hard about too many big issues, and blah blah blah.

So tonight I finally got dressed and got out of the house and headed up to the Rocks to take a ballet class at the Sydney Dance Company. I've never been to a studio where the class had 50 people in it, and there were dancers of all ages crowding the hallways dressed for every genre. It kind of reminded me of the studio that Jodie goes to in Center Stage when she needs to shake things up and she sees Cooper (and then has sex with him) and also that creepy guy with the who forgot his dance belt at home and kind of looks like Michael Phelps. Except that this studio was larger and in an "old town" area instead of a metropolis high-rise.

But while we're talking about Center Stage, the high I got from attending this class made me realize that "life doesn't hold tryouts," and that I can't keep wasting my days. Walking back from the studio to Cirqular Quay listening to musicals on my iPod I felt so happy and young. And I have a new determination to get out and go somewhere every day. Tomorrow I think I'll take my laptop to a cafe somewhere and work for a little while. Then at night I'm heading out to another bar with a bunch of expats. This weekend I'd like to go to one of the outdoor markets that they set up around town. But for now, I'm home for the night, and Law & Order: SVU is on TV and then I'm probably going to watch Center Stage since I brought the DVD, so it's a good end to the evening. But if any of you talk to me on gchat or AIM or something about 10 hours from now, tell me to get off my ass and go do something!

I'm going to go to dance class and/or work out every day, and I'm going to go somewhere and enjoy the world every day, and I'm going to work on my writing every day, and I'm going to be so fit and talented and happy because I am the best goddamn dancer at the American Ballet Academy. Who the hell are you?!

No comments: