Wednesday, September 3, 2008

literally walking about

My first two full days in Sydney have been just fantastic. Seriously, since the moment I stepped out of the airport I've been trying to think of ways I can stay here forever. Certainly, the city needs an authentic burrito stand, and I think if I could open up the Oceania franchise of Taco Factory, the government would be more than happy to let me have dual citizenship!

On Tuesday morning, I woke up before the sun rose, and made it to the building's gymnasium just in time to see the sun spread its orange glow across the skyscrapers of the CBD, the reflective white tiles on the Sydney Opera House, and the glittering waters beneath the coat hanger bridge. I watched the news and got a great workout in, but it seems that I wasn't done abusing my old-lady-knees just yet. After breakfast I decided to walk to the new Apple store so that I could get the appropriate adapter for my laptop and, wouldn't you know it, I got lost about five minutes into my walk. Luckily, when I ended up at the McElhone stairs (built in 1870) which connect Potts Point to harbourside Woolloomooloo, I knew that there was a much nicer route ahead of me than the one I'd been meaning to take.

I strolled for a couple of hours along the waterside edge of the Royal Botanic Gardens, around Mrs. Macquaries Point, Farm Cove, and to the steps at the base of the Opera House. The morning light was so gentle and lovely on the second day of Spring, and I found I had no desire to listen to my iPod, which I usually prefer to do on long walks. But the sound of the water lapping at the rocks and the wind whistling through the trees mingled so well with the smells of jasmine and fresh-cut grass that headphones would have ruined the experience. Once at Circular Quay, I ventured into the Museum of Contemporary Art, where a portion of the Biennale of Sydney 2008 was being shown. Some of the art was very compelling, but as usual, my struggles with video art have followed me from film class to the real world.

After a lunchtime walk through the CBD with all of the business men and women congregating on George St., I found my way eventually to the Apple Store, and from there I walked to Darling Harbour. I sat in a bar and ate some seafood to pass the time until the ferry came, which I rode back to Circular Quay. The ferry ride from Darling Harbour is lovely, because you pass by some of the lovely homes in Kirribilli, the creepy entrance to Luna Park, and of course the bridge and Opera House.

Yesterday I also got up early and set off walking in one direction until I ended up at Bondi Beach. It was quite cold, but I drank a hot chocolate and bought a mobile phone, so it was a productive morning. I took the bus back into the city and ate a hot dog with peas and mash at the iconic Harry's Cafe de Wheels - it was heavenly. Took the McElhone stairs home, and after an afternoon rest, I found out that a group of expats were meeting for drinks in Paddington. On a whim, I decided to join them, and I'm so glad I did. I met some interesting people from Germany, England, Canada, and a number of other places, all looking to meet people in Sydney.

Today I'm having a day in with my screenwriting books and my new copy of Final Draft, so hopefully I'll get some work done today!

2 comments:

fergusnoodle said...

Marnie works at the gardens so you should make her show you the greenhouse. I think she is only there on Tuesdays though.

molly said...

Yay, I finally figured out how to "follow" a blog. This is Molly from the p-boi message boards, btw. I'm excited to read all about your Australian adventures:)