Saturday, September 6, 2008

naughty girls with bad habits

Okay, longer post tomorrow, but I have a few brief observations:

- I knew going in that there would be no Mexican food here, but the attempts at it are awkward and borderline offensive. There's this commercial on TV for "Old El Paso simmer sauces" that baffles me. First of all, I've never heard of a "simmer sauce" but I'm pretty sure it's not a holdover from Mayan times. Secondly, the commercial implies that there's a culture war being fought between children and their parents, in which young people hate spicy food. Apparently, Old El Paso simmer sauces are the only solution, when served in a dollop on top of a bowl of white sticky rice with a tortilla chip sticking out of it. What?

- My good ol' buddy DGMacphee told me about Summer Heights High last year, but I didn't get to see any of it until my Qantas flight over here. It's a mockumentary series about life at a public school where the creator Chris Lilley plays drama coach Mr. G, troubled bully Jonah, and private school exchange student and rich bitch Ja'mie King. I've caught clips on YouTube, and have since watched every episode of Lilley's previous show, We Can Be Heroes, on the internet as well. Ja'mie features in that one too. SO FUNNY. I always forget how politically correct we are in the U.S. until I watch TV in another country.


- When the weather report says it might rain, don't go for a run without bringing your bus pass. It will rain hard once you're far from home, and soak through your clothes.

No comments: