Wednesday, January 28, 2009

On my way...

Well, I have a lot to say, and almost no time to say it. Today is my last full day here, and I am definitely sad. I miss Los Angeles a lot a lot a lot, but it is almost impossible to say goodbye to Sydney. This morning I got up early, drank a flat white, and walked from Martin Place to Paddy's Market. I did a little souvenir shopping and got a cheap-o chair massage at Market City in anticipation of the long day of traveling I'll be doing tomorrow. I had some tasty phở for lunch and then strolled around Circular Quay and the Botanic Gardens before coming home in the afternoon to finish packing. It was way too hot to stay out in the intense sun.

This evening I'm going to have the only acceptable last dinner one can get before leaving Sydney, a hot dog with mashed peas and potatoes at Harry's Café de Wheels. A little more strolling around some of the lovely city sights and then, alas, I will have to go to sleep and end this lovely day. I fly out tomorrow afternoon (Sydney time) and arrive tomorrow morning (L.A. time) thanks to the creepiness of the international date line. Friends and family in California, I can't wait to see you.

I will be keeping up the blog for a little while. There are a few more things about the last days of the journey that I want to share when I have the time, such as a review of the concert I saw at the Opera House the other night (The Swell Season is such a great band), and some ruminations about the whole trip. Also, I imagine there might be some interesting tidbits about life back at home, and the reverse culture shock that students are warned about when they go abroad. Since my gap year is continuing for a couple of months into a little more traveling on the East Coast and in Europe, I may well blog about those adventures on this site, also, because a walkabout doesn't have to be limited to one continent, now does it?

All my love, Australia. There are too many good things about you that I will miss, and I can't type about them right now because I'll get emotional and a girl's got to keep herself together. Not saying goodbye, because you all know I'll "smell ya later."

No comments: