Saturday, January 17, 2009

nom nom nom

I have to post about some of the cool things I've done in Sydney lately, but right now I am starving and wanted to post a list of the foods I am going to eat as soon as I get back to Los Angeles (preferably all in one sitting):

In-N-Out cheeseburger animal style plus fries and a Neapolitan shake
cheeseburger from Fuddrucker's
menudo
spicy chicken sandwich from Jack in the Box
carnitas burrito
Jack in the Box 99 cent tacos
French dip sandwich from Phillipe's
Korean frozen yogurt with fruit and mochi
pozole
shrimp Po' boy from the L.A. Farmers' Market
fish tacos
matzo ball soup from Canter's Deli
decent bagel with cream cheese and lox
freshly baked Krispy Kreme donut that melts in your mouth
gallon of horchata
dad's penne bolognese
decent BBQ ribs
cubano AND medianoche from Porto's (with platano chips!)
Pirate's Booty and other treats from Trader Joe's
pita pocket with chicken, rice, tomatoes, and garlic sauce from Zankou
stuffed jalapeƱos


There are a million reasons why I'm not ready to leave Sydney. But I am really missing L.A. I know it'll be winter when I get home, which is a downer, but it will be refreshing to get behind the wheel again, to eat the foods whose absence in my life is driving me mad, and to see the places and people that I love. When I was living in Claremont, I took the 10 freeway into Los Angeles a number of times, and each time that I would round the bend where the skyline of Downtown L.A. would be revealed, I would get a swell of pride. I can't imagine what it's going to feel like to smell the Armenian bread baking in Jon's market, to revisit my former daily commute down Riverside Drive, or to do myriad other things I've taken for granted in L.A.

The only question is, how long after I'm home will I find myself doubled over with a craving for a hot dog from Harry's Cafe, my feet twitching with the muscle memory of walking from Darlinghurst to the Rocks for dance class, and my hand accidentally writing the word "colourful" or the date as "18 Jan 2009"?

No comments: