Saturday, October 11, 2008

Wine, cheese, and fresh flowers!

Is there a nicer list of items to walk home with? I had a very lovely Saturday afternoon. I took my big Costco shopping bag down to Potts Point to get a whole bunch of groceries. I bought a bunch of ingredients to make my own Mexican dinner, which I will be doing tomorrow. More on that as it happens. Anyway, before I went to the supermarket, I found this tiny, incredible Italian market. There was a small restaurant in the back, and in the front, all sorts of imported goods from the motherland, fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses. It was fantastic.

Doing my grocery shopping I couldn't help but think that I could possibly be very happy as a homemaker. I felt this a little when I was at girls' prep school and not looking forward to four years of college, but when it comes to taking the time to pick out the perfect avocado and crafting a delicious meal, I feel very comfortable. Maybe I can be a Stephenie Meyer type, keeping a home while making millions on a book series. Except my books won't be terrible. Let's change this example to J.K. Rowling, then. Can't you just see me spending all day knitting, crocheting, cooking, and baking? I sure can. I also joined the cellar club at a local bottle shop for the one-time price of A$5 because they had a special on for members whereby I got a bottle of 2008 Secret Stone Sauvignon Blanc for A$16 and a free hunk of Fromager d'Affinois. I think this is the first time I've ever bought myself a bottle of wine, if we're not counting Modesto, CA classic Andre. I found a great deal on flowers, and got a huge armload of them for only A$10! As much as I like having fresh flowers on my table, I know nothing about them. These are the kind that look like the middle-ground between sunflowers and daisies. They're orange, red, and yellow. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

I've done a little bit of mingling the past week or so. Last weekend I volunteered at the Manly Jazz Festival for a few hours. There was absolutely nothing for me to do, but at least I got a free t-shirt and my first Big Mac ever? It was pretty cool to listen to the funk band, even though I'm not a big jazz person. That happened to be the day that the Manly rugby team beat Melbourne in a grudge match to win the Rugby Cup Finals, so I got to watch the win with Manly locals before I took the ferry home.

On Wednesday night I met up with the expat group at a place called Govinda's in Darlinghurst. It was a very cool place and I certainly intend to go back. Vegetarian Indian buffet and a single movie screen where you lay on futons and watch the film. The movie was Taken, the review of which you can read at my other blog before long. It was good to meet some new people and chat with some of the regulars. I saw a lot of these same people at Vivaz salsa club in the Rocks last night. The Spanish language, French language, salsa, nightlife, and expat meetup groups were gathered for discounted drinks and dancing. I ended up discussing philosophy ad nauseum with a couple of randoms all night, which was kind of a bust. But I have been craving night life for months, so it was just good to put on a dress and some heels and hit the town a little. Plus, my alcohol tolerance is just gone by now. Two glasses of sangria and one vodka cranberry and I was buzzing. Comparing my current drinking habits to my liver's abilities from sophomore year and I can't believe that was only three years ago. What happened to me?

As for tonight, I'm gonna cook up some zucchini fritters, give the apartment a clean, and enjoy the evening.

UPDATE a few hours later: The zucchini fritters were delicious, even better than last time. Unfortunately, I didn't trust that the tzaziki sauce was still good so I ate them on their own. Delicious dinner, two glasses of wine, and Alien vs. Predator on TV? I couldn't ask for anything more.

4 comments:

prspad said...

Dang! Wish that I was dining at your table these past few days!

fergusnoodle said...

I think it would be better if it was just Alien instead, I would ask television god for that.

Jono said...

I saw a picture of Stephanie Meyer in the paper a few weeks ago when her book was leaked on the interwebs and she was crying about it and decided not to release it. She's kind of hot.

Also, that entire paragraph ending in the Aragorn/Boromir/Legolas slash quote was one of the funniest things I'd read in my life.

"I think this is the first time I've ever bought myself a bottle of wine" - You're from California, you should know better. When I get back to Australia, I'm turning you into a wine person.

"That happened to be the day that the Manly rugby team beat Melbourne in a grudge match to win the Rugby Cup Finals" - That is so cute!!! I mean, I'm not a sports person, but that quote makes ME look like I know about sports.

Kat said...

Stephenie Meyer is about 100 lbs. heavier than she looks in her headshot. But she is a pretty woman. Shara, I had NO idea what was going on during AVP. I too would have rather watched a Sigourney Weaver action fest, but alas! Network TV on a Saturday evening disappoints for the first time in history.