Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Let's get one thing straight.

Whatever you had for dinner tonight, or even yesterday night, it was nowhere as good as the dinner I made tonight (NOTE: This is a blog I prepared last week before I had my camera cord). But I'm going to backtrack to yesterday because I made a kickass dinner then, too. I've seen all these commercials for Jalna pot-set yogurt, and it looked delicious so I bought some, forgetting that I prefer vanilla to plain. So I had all this yogurt I didn't want to eat and needed a recipe to use it in. Last night I made fried zucchini & feta fritters with tzatziki sauce. The fritters recipe I found at this site. It made 4 fritters, and I'm going to buy another zucchini to remake this recipe in a couple of days since I have wayyyy too much tzatziki sauce.

FRIED ZUCCHINI & FETA FRITTERS (serves 2)
Ingredients:
1 small zucchini (grated)
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1 green onion (chopped)
1 handful dill (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons oil

Directions:
1. Mix the zucchini, feta, flour, egg, green onions, dill, salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Spoon the zucchini mixture into the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides.

It's a very simple recipe, except that I don't have a grater so I was using a carrot peeler to grate the zucchini, and that took forever. They were so tasty! Like marginally healthier latkes. As for the tzatziki sauce, I got the recipe from the Jalna website, but you could subsitute any low/no fat plain yogurt, or greek yogurt of course. Below is 1/2 of the recipe that I made, because I think what's below will yield enough sauce for 8 fritters.

TZATZIKI SAUCE
Ingredients:
1/2 of a medium continental cucumber
3/4 cup plain yogurt (fat free)
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 of a large clove of garlic, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp dill

Directions:
1. Peel the cucumber, chop in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Chop very finely or grate/shread.
2. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Serve cold.


Then tonight I cooked a recipe which my dad had given me a couple of days ago. I was complaining about my boring eating routine, and he suggested I make fried Italian meatballs. They were INCREDIBLE. Here's the basic recipe, and you can make a ton of substitutions (turkey, spices, type of bread):

FRIED ITALIAN MEATBALLS (serves 4)
Ingredients:
1/2 kg ground beef
1 egg
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 slices bread
handful chopped parsley
salt, pepper, basil, oregano to taste
olive oil


Directions:
1. Moisten the bread and then tear it into teensy pieces.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and knead until well mixed.
3. Roll into 8 balls.
4. Pan fry until crispy brown on all sides.


The meatballs were pretty big, each about the size of a kiwifruit, and I could only eat 2, with side dishes. That's why I figure the recipe serves 4 if you serve up the appropriate side dishes. I baked some garlic bread slices from the refrigerated section of the supermarket (I think homemade would have tasted better - sliced french bread, margarine, garlic, salt) and made a simple caprese salad (mozzarella bocconcini, cherry tomatoes, basil leaves). I served the meatballs on a scoop of hot pureed tomato.


Now I have six of these left and I think I will make a meatball sub tomorrow. Or just toss 'em in some pasta! They were super easy to make except that my parsley/bread/onions were pretty roughly chopped, so that the meatballs wanted to crumble until I got them fried a little. They were very fun to make. I can't remember the last time I worked with raw meat, and it is pretty satisfying to eat the finished product. Kneading food is just fun - maybe I'll do something with dough in a little whilte.

3 comments:

fergusnoodle said...

I think I have a recipe for zucchini fritters and I am going to make it soon it looks delish! BUT first I make CHEESE PIE!!

Jono said...

Holy crap. That looks healthy. Jo and I are getting visibly fatter from our short time in the US so that looks extra tasty to our "meat and fried things" poisoned eyes.

Kat said...

Interest comment given that both foods pictured are fried (though pan- instead of deep-, and in Extra Virgin Olive Oil), and one is low-grade meat!